(1) Dunkirk’s population, according to the federal census, was 19,336.
(2) A local Hi-Y was formed in January.
(3) The plant of the Thomas Coupling Corporation at 307-315 Brigham Road was completed in January. The site has been provided by the Chamber of Commerce.
(4) Lake Shore Camp #107, United Spanish War Veterans, was organized. Meetings were held in the Chamber of Commerce rooms.
(5) The new mill of the Dunkirk Lumber & Coal Company, 526 Roberts Road, was finished in March.
(6) Shorewood Country Club’s golf course was completed in the spring.
(7) The Regent Theater, 21 East Third Street, formerly Drohen’s Third Street Theater, was completely remodeled and opened on April 1.
(8) Il Risveglio, Italian weekly newspaper, began publication in April. (1924?)
(9) The local branch of Kiwanis International was established in May, and received its charter. (In 1925 the name was changed to Dunkirk-Fredonia Kiwinis Club).
(10) A large portion of the Thatcher Glass plant, 202 West Second Street, was burned on April 18, with a loss of $200,000. Repairs were immediately started. At one time the plant produced 800,000 bottles in a year, employing 150 men. In September another mishap occurred, when one of the furnaces burst and molten glass spread over the floor. After being closed for eight weeks, the plant reopened in November.
(11) New ornamental lights, 28 in number, were placed in Washington Park and used for the first time in September.
(12) School Number 7, built at a cost of $250,000, had a formal opening on Labor Day, with 2000 visitors. The East Lake Road site contained five and a quarter acres.
(13) The Evangelical Synod of North America purchaser 2109 acres of land at First Gulf, two miles northeast of the city, the former McCarthy farm, for a conference grounds. A 2500-foot lake frontage included a good bathing beach, and there was a wooded section on the property.
(14) A mission conducted at on time a 130 Central Avenue was reopened for use by the Pentecostal Holiness Association.
(15) The Romer Ax & Tool Company was chartered by the state, with a capital of $110,000.
(16) The Dunkirk Cycle Club ended its existence after twenty years of activity. At one time its membership was over 100. The club house, 119-110 Washington Avenue, was sold.
(17) The Dunkirk Machine & Boiler Company changed its name to Dunkirk Die & Machine Works.
(18) Hotel Gratiot was taken over by a Buffalo owner on a ten-year lease, and its name changed to Hotel Francis.
(19) Akbar Sanctorum Band of IOOF Lodge was organized.
(20) The extension of the ornamental lighting sustenances was continued, with 28 lamps put up in Central Avenue.
(21) The Atlas Seed Company opened its store at the northwest corner of Central Avenue and Second Street.
(22) The high school’s athletic field, purchased with funds during the previous year, was dedicated May 27. The Athletic Association presented the deed to the Board of Education. In September, an additional three acres west of the field, the VanderWeel property, was purchased for $12,000.
(23) The Crocker-Sprague Company, a wholesale dealer in coffee, was organized, and occupied the building at 10 East Front Street.
(24) Zahm’s Hotel, 800 Central Avenue, changed ownership, becoming the property of S. Velk, who operated it as a rooming house and established a grocery store there.
(25) The Boston Store was incorporated.
(26) The Dunkirk Axle Company in Lamphere Street, successor to the Empire Axle Company, went into bankruptcy and its property was sold.
(27) The Roberts, Drewes & Company corporation became the Drewes-Ahrens Company, Inc.
(28) The Dunkirk Savings & Loan Association, whose office had been located in the Lake Shore National Bank building at 229 Central Avenue since 1889, bought property at 41 East Fourth Street for its new location.
(29) The Nickel Plate Service Station opened for business in September.
(30) The Lally Theater Corporation took possession of the Schwede business property at 321-325 Main Street, which it had purchased in 1920, and planned its remodeling for a theater.
(31) Haber’s Clothing Store was started on October 18.
(32) The county fair opened on September 13. The new front entrance, and the new mercantile building, completed in the summer, were of great interest.
(33) The Knights of Columbus Association purchased the Bookstaver property at 435 Central Avenue. The residence was to be used as a club house, and its formal opening and dedication took place on Thanksgiving Day. The property had been owned during the previous year by A. Weinberg.
(34) Dunkirk Memorial Post #62, American Legion, established headquarters in the Heyl Block. The organizational meeting had been held in December of 1920.
(35) A storm in October cost the life of C.W. Kley of Cleveland, whose gasoline fishing boat “Nelson K” sank three miles off the shore.
(36) The Dunkirk Welfare Association was organized, as a means of supplementing the work of the police commission, and handling temporary relief cases, especially those needing assistance during the winter months.
(37) The insurance business, conducted by J.A. Holstein for the past nineteen years was sold to S.A. Taylor and R.F. Lefferts.
(38) The New York Telephone Company moved it business office to the Palmer & Rowe Building at 427 Central Avenue. The exchange and service department remained in their former location in the Stearns Building.
(39) An addition was built to the Van Raalte plant.
(40) The American Red Cross, Dunkirk Chapter, moved to a room in the Chamber of Commerce headquarters, 330 Central Avenue.
(41) Plans were made for the organization of a Dunkirk Tent of the Daughters of Veterans.
(42) A water carnival was held on Labor Day at the beach at the west end of the harbor. It was conducted by the Merchants Exchange, the American Legion. the Naval Militia, and the Dunkirk Boat Club.
(43) A new heating system was installed at the Empire Theater by Carter & Casale.
(44) The Yawadanac Rifle & Revolver Club was organized by members of the Northern Chautauqua Fish & Game Club. It became affiliated with the American Rifle Association, and was provided with army rifles and ammunition by the U.S. government.
(45) Zion Evangelical Church changed to the use of English rather than German for its services.
(46) The Falconer Towel Mill opened a plant in Dunkirk, using a portion of the old Nelson Opera House.
(47) A new and handsome north entrance to the Safe Store was completed.
(48) The steeple of St.Mary’s Church was struck by lightning, necessitating repairs. The iron cross which had been on the steeple since it was built in 1853 was taken down and replaced with a lighter one made of copper.
(49) A large frame barn on the lighthouse property was destroyed by a fire. The two houses, one for the keeper and one for the assistants were scorched but damage to them was light.
(1) An auxiliary of Dunkirk Memorial Post #62, American Legion, was formed in January.
(2) Dunkirk Memorial Post #62, American Legion, held a formal opening of its new club rooms on the second floor of the Heyl Block in January.
(3) A training school for policemen was opened in January. Later in the year a three-platoon system was started, with the men working eight hours each, in three shifts, day and night.
(4) A drive for $10,000 was launched to prevent the closing of Brooks Memorial Hospital, which had been unable to meet expenses. The amount of $21,000 was raised. Subsequently, the city council approved an amendment to the city charter, providing for the appropriation of $6500 annually, raised from the previous amount of $1500, for the hospital.
(5) The Atlas Crucible Steel Company merged with the Electric Alloy Steel Company of Youngstown, Ohio, to become the Atlas Alloy Steel Corporation.
(6) The new fire alarm system and police call system was installed, at a cost of $56,000 ($35,000). It was completed and put into use in 1923. [amount unclear]
(7) The Point Gratiot streetcar tracks were removed to allow for having West Front Street. The company could not pay its share of the paving expense ($17,000) and the line was given up after twenty years of service, by permission of the Public Service Commission. The last car ran on September 29. Among the cars in stock were four open cars.
(8) The Chautauqua County Agricultural Corporation purchased with eight and a quarter acres of land adjoining the fairgrounds on the west, and providing a passage to Brigham Road.
(9) The Women’s Educational & Industrial Union resumed community activities which had been abandoned during the time the Red Cross used the building for war work.
(10) Ten new buildings were completed on East Fourth Street for business purposes. Included was the Roberts Building at the northwest corner of East Fourth and Park Avenue, a brick structure.
(11) A $20,000 Wurlitzer organ was installed in the Regent Theater.
(12) The Skelton Shovel Company built a plant on a 14-acre site on East Lake Road, a part of the Kimball farm. The Chamber of Commerce set a goal of $7800 to promote the transaction leading to this industry’s arrival.
(13) An addition was built to the Continental Heater Company’s plant.
(14) The West Drug Company purchased the corner news stand business in the Hotel Francis, 353 Central Avenue.
(15) On April 1 the Marsh Valve Company began production in the building formerly belonging to the Thomas Coupling Company, 307-315 Brigham Road. This seven-acre site had been given to the Thomas company in 1920 by the Chamber of Commerce. The building was completed in 1921, and later in the year was sold to the March company.
(16) Canary Street was paved.
(17) Property to be known as Wright Park was given to the city. David and Reuben Wright, and the executors of the George Wright estate, joined in providing this gift. They owned eight acres, and contributed $4400 for the purchase of 22 acres, to make the area of 30 acres available. Small plots owned by J.J. Walters and A.M. Mann were included , being given by these owners. This gave the city a half mile of lake front from Ocelot Street to Battery Point.
(18) The New York Store purchased the store at 322 Main Street, thus more than doubling its floor space.
(19) College women of the area held their seventh annual meeting , and organized a branch of the American Association of University Women.
(20) The Lincoln Theater Corporation was organized and capitalized at $300,000, to operate the Regent Theater, the Drohen Avenue Theater, and the Empire Theater. The company also owned the Schweda Block in Main Street which had been slated as the site for a future theater, this corporation was the successor to the Lally Theater Corporation.
(21) An addition was built to the Eagle Street fire hall.
(22) The Western Union Telegraph Company started all-night service in the city.
(23) Following a petition by businessmen of Central Avenue, the Common Council ordered that automobiles were to stand at a 30-degree angle to the curb when parked on that street.
(24) A photograph studio was opened by C. L. Knowlton at 208 Central Avenue. [1923?]
(25) The Dunkirk China Shop at Main and East Fourth Streets was purchased by Miss Anna Shoultz, who had been connected with the Joseph Nelson Company for many years.
(26) Miss Ann Humphrey opened a millinery store at 316 Central Avenue.
(27) Samuel Casale bought his partner’s share in the Carter & Casale Plumbing Company, 78 East Third Street, and it became Casale & Company.
(28) James Elias opened Jim’s Dry-cleaning Business.
(29) The Wolpert Livery & Garage, 210 Main Street, burned on October 7. Many valuable horses were lost, including those owned by the American Railway Express. Adjacent buildings were damaged, and total loss was around $50,000.
(30) A restaurant called The Chocolate Shop was opened in the new Roberts Building, 38-40 East Fourth Street, by A.J. Heibel and R. Schwartz.
(31) An outdoor ice skating rink was established at the West Fourth Street and Brigham Road, with earth banks surrounding the space for the rink.
(32) A book of poetry, “The Silent Chord, and Other Poems,” was published by the Rev. John Dimpfl.
(33) The Summerlee Electric Company moved from 109 Park Avenue to 11 East Third Street.
(34) St. Mary’s Roman Catholic Church acquired a new organ.
(35) The first patrol car was purchased for the Police Department.
(36) The Dunkirk Upholstering Company was started.
(1) The city directory gave a population figure of 20, 407 for Dunkirk, and 6235 for Fredonia.
(2) A $4000 organ was installed in Adams Memorial Unitarian Church, and dedicated November 4.
(3) The Dunkirk Business Institute was established, and opened in September at 643 Central Avenue. C.S. Schilz was the proprietor.
(4) A temporary wooden building was put up on the east campus of School 6 for overflow classes.
(5) The sum of $100,000 was spent for the installation of the Gamewell fire alarm system and for three pieces of fire apparatus. One result of the installation was the reduction of insurance rates for the residents of the city.
(6) A fire alarm system was inaugurated, and each day two blasts were blown on the whistle at 9 A.M. Previously hand-operated, the whistle was now run by electricity.
(7) A business building, known as the Lester Block, was constructed at 27-29 East Fourth Street by the G.H. Graf company.
(8) A taxi company, called Yellow Cab Service, was started in May.
(9) The Dunkirk fire department was completely motorized, the last two horses being retired in June. The old fire apparatus was auctioned off. A Fourth of July celebration marked the event. The new hook and ladder truck cost $10, 500. Included with the ladders were life-saving and resuscitation equipment. The new pumpers were all purchased.
(10) Improvements at the First Presbyterian Church included the construction of a new front entrance. New carpeting was laid in the sanctuary. New pews, and a set of side-light fixtures, the gift of R.J. Gross, were installed.
(11) In November the Romer Axe & Tool Company, 804 Main Street, opened after a complete reorganization. It was known as the Romer Division of the Warren Axe & Tool Company.
(12) The Sanitary Received Company purchased property at 12 East Second Street, and began manufacturing operations. Its offices had formerly been on Central Avenue.
(13) The West Front Street paving was completed between Central Avenue and Brigham Road. It was brick, with some curbing.
(14) The Dunkirk Symphony Orchestra was formed, with forty Dunkirk and Fredonia musicians playing under the leadership of Professor C.A. Monroe.
(15) The directors of the Women’s Educational and Industrial Union sold its building at 406 Central Avenue to the H.C. Ehlers Company, which also purchased the L.C. Andrews property back of it. The property was then sold to the Sidey Family.
(16) Fred C. Rosing, a former salesman with the Sidey store, opened a dry goods and notion store at 27 East Fourth Street on May 5.
(17) The First Methodist Episcopal Church celebrated the liquidation of its indebtedness on the building which had been dedicated in 1918. and burned the mortgage.
(18) A dining hall and kitchen were the first of the buildings to be erected on the Dunkirk Conference Grounds.
(19) Long’s Taxi Service was started, with headquarters at 16-18 Ruggles Street. Following a six-week suspension, the schedule was resumed, and ran from the intersection of McKinley Avenue and Taft Place to the East Lake Road city line. A service to Point Gratiot was also arranged.
(20) The Hammond Manufacturing Company began its business, manufacturing automobile and radio batteries.
(21) The Seneca Tower Company was incorporated with a capital stock of $30,000, and leased the Promenschenkel Building in East Front Street at the site of its plant.
(22) The Van Raalte plant took on more workers to meet the increase in demand for silk gloves. About 550 peopler were in the employ of the company.
(u) The Dunstan-Weiler Lithographing Company gave up its business.
(23) The Bentley & Rusch Company began the distribution of milk from its plant at 100 East Seventh Street, the former Litz Dairy.
(24) F. Dopler, Jr., put up a brick building to be used as a blacksmith shop, at 61 East Front Street, the site of the former Hooks Bakery.
(25) A ladies’ auxiliary of the Loyal Order of Moose was organized.
(26) Dunkirk and Fredonia residents of Italian descent organized a lodge known as Order of the Sons of Italy, Il Risorgimento Lodge, on October 7.
(27) On September 12, fifty employees who had worked at the Brooks Works for 25 years, formed the “Twenty- Five Year Club.”
(28) Upon the retirement of Edward J. West, G.C. Momeyer, and employee, became a partner with E.J. West, Jr., in the West Drug Company.
(29) There Moniuszko Social Club, formerly Moniuszko Singing Circle, but an addition to its club house on Lake Road.
(30) Dr. Glen R. Fish had an office boiling put up at 332 Central Avenue, occupying the first floor himself and renting the second floor. He had been in Dunkirk for fifteen years and had been located in East Third Street.
(31) The Kosciuszko Polish Home Association was incorporated in March.
(32) The Drohen Avenue Theater was leased to the Lally Brothers, who changed the name to Capital Theater, 313-317 Central Avenue.
(33) The C.C. Erb Grocery at 539 Deer Street, and two Basket Groceries, one in Central Avenue and one in Main Street, all owned by Mr. Erb, were sold to the Quality Cash Company of Jamestown.
(34) Vincent Karl ended his tailoring business.
(35) A new road was laid out from Brigham Road easterly to the parking lot of the fairgrounds (It was named Walldorff Road in honor of the Town Highway Superintendent, Henry Walldorff. Continuation from parking lot to Central Avenue. Date? 1965?)
(36) W.D. Light put up a building at 214 Central Avenue, and the Badgley Motor Company Garage moved in.
(1) The Woodcliffe Orchestra was organized. It played its first engagement on February 29 in the Erie Hotel grill room for the Night Hawks Club.
(2) Excavation was begun for a new high school building, to be located at the north end of the campus. Some of the fine old trees had to be removed.
(3) On June 21 what was called a cyclone struck the city at about midnight. It uprooted trees including 25 at Point Gratiot, unroofed cottages along the lake, cut off electrical communication, and broke off the west steeple of the Presbyterian Church. The wind was reported to be of a velocity of 125 miles per hour.
(4) The Atlas Alloy Steel Corporation averted to its former name, Atlas Steel Corporation. It was placed in the hands of a receiver by the U.S. Court.
(5) The grounds and buildings of the Evangelical Leadership Training School on East Lake Road were dedicated in August. This was also known as the Dunkirk Conference Grounds.
(6) The R. L. Polk & Company, directory publishers, purchased the interests of the W.H. Kirwin Company in the Dunkirk-Fredonia directory after Mr. Kirwin’s death. The material for the 1925 directory was compiled, and this became the company’s first local publication.
(7) The Dunkirk-Fredonia Learning House Association was formed in December.
(8) On December 14 the City Hall was destroyed by fire, which was discovered at 3:30 A.M. The loss was estimated at $60,000, as well as civic records. Later in the month, the still standing tower was pulled down by firemen because of the danger of its falling.
(9) The African Methodist Episcopal Zion Church was organized on March 3, and located at 215 Eagle Street. The previous year a group had met to form the church, and services were held in a private home.
(10) A reorganization resulted in the Buffalo & Erie Traction Company receiving a charter from the state to run electric cars in Erie and Chautauqua Counties and part of Pennsylvania. New cars, with seating capacity for 41 persons, were put into operation. There were ten revolving Pullman chairs towards the front, conventional seats filling the balance of the car. The use of new local cars resulted in plans for a loop in the square near Union Station, since the cars could not reverse their direction means of changing the trolley and had to continue in a forward direction.
(11) The Jamestown-Fredonia Transit Company, which had operated motor buses between Jamestown and Fredonia for two years was granted permission to extend its service to Dunkirk.
(12) Dom Polski, 141 East Front Street, suffered a $6000 loss by fire on November 17.
(13) The Bentley & Renckens Milk Company moved from 100 East Seventh Street to 62 East Sixth Street, following the sale of R. Rusch’s interest in the business to R. Renckens.
(14) A traffic signal consisting of a flashing light was installed at Central Avenue and Fourth Street.
(15) The Dunkirk Glass Plant in Lamphere Street was taken over by the H.P. Sinclaire Company of Corning.
(16) The building occupied by Crocker-Sprague at 10 East Front Street suffered a $65,000 loss by fire, on November 17.
(17) The Drohen Avenue Theater management installed at $22,000 Worlitzer organ in the theater.
(18) Nu Rum Zuanna, Ladies of the Orient, was organized in July.
(19) The Aronson Brothers discontinued their jewelry business at 341 Central Avenue.
(20) The H.C. Ehlers barn on Lark Street was damaged by fire, Lost were two trucks, a hearse, an ambulance, and a sedan.
(21) The nursing school connected with Brooks Memorial Hospital was closed by the State Board of Regents, as out did not have sufficient courses for a full curriculum as was then required, and could not afford the necessary expansion.
(22) The Dunkirk Bowling Association was founded.
(23) The Kosciuszko Polish Home Association purchased land and a building at 252 Nevins Street in May, with a $3500 mortgage.
(24) The automobile speed limit on Dunkirk streets was 20 miles per hour.
(25) The Globe Studio opened at 315 Main Street, a branch of a Jamestown studio of that name.
(26) The sporting goods, bicycle, and radio business of Henry Schafer at 436 Main Street was purchased by A.E. Stecker.
(27) The Dun-Dee Club Restaurant opened at 406 Central Avenue on October 1.
(28) A representative of the New York Central Railroad visited the city to make arrangements for the reconstruction of the Woodrow Avenue bridge.
(29) The Wheat Ice Cream Company purchased the building at 18-20 West Second Street. The company was managed by J.J. Sappelt.
(30) The Lemoline Mfg. Company received a charter from the Secretary of State to manufacture its furniture polish.
(31) The Marie-Juliette Shoppe opened at 341 Central Avenue, selling ladies’ clothing.
(32) Granger & Company took over the wholesale grocery at 23 East Second Street, purchasing the business from H.G. Wagner.
(33) D.A. Rusch opened a gasoline station on West Lake Road.
(34) Miss Geraldine Farrar, famous singer, gave a concert at the Capitol Theater.
(35) The new Polish Falcons Club House, costing $15,000, was opened at 119 East Lake Road.
(36) The Lang Furniture & Upholstering Company opened at 433 Main Street. The proprietors were H.W. Lang et al.
(37) The American Tailoring Company, I. Haber, proprietor, moved to 321 Main Street.
(38) At the time of the fire at the city hall, two prisoners and a temporary lodger were located from the jail area. Until the city built its new city hall, prisoners were housed in the Fredonia jail. The Police Department set up temporary headquarters in the Hotel Francis.
(39) A new 60,000 gallon water pump was installed at the city plant, West Front Street.
(1) A state census showed Dunkirk’s population to be 19,912.
(2) A new rectory, costing $50,000, was completed for St. Hyacinth’s parish in February. It was located at 85 Lake Street, opposite the school.
(3) The Salvation Army citadel at 66 East Fourth Street was completed in March and dedicated. The cost was $35,000. The living quarters for the officer and his family had been finished and occupied January 28.
(4) The brick and stone church building of Grace Evangelical Lutheran Church was completed at 25 West Sixth Street, the cornerstone having been laid in 1924. The cost was $85,000. The first service was held on August 23, and the building was consecrated on November 8.
(5) The Marsh-Burgess Paper Box Mfg. Company at 11 West Third Street was sold to J.H. Warder.
(6) Trees along East Fourth Street were removed so that the street could be widened. The widening and paving were completed. Albany Avenue and West Green Street were also paved.
(7) The county fair opened on Labor Day. An attraction was the new steel and concrete grandstand, seating $1800, which had been constructed in the spring at a cost of $27,000. [$35,000?]
(8) The Dunkirk Dock Corporation was formed, its purpose being to encourage use of the harbor facilities by commercial organizations.
(9) The Chamber of Commerce, which had occupied two upper floors of the Lyceum Building, 330 Central Avenue, moved in June to 50 East Fourth Street, having purchased the church and parsonage buildings formerly owned by Grace Evangelical Lutheran Church. The State Employment Bureau, also previously in the Lyceum Building. moved to the first floor of the parsonage, and the Everygirl’s Club occupied the second floor. The Everygirl’s Club had assisted in the purchase of the building.
(10) A Kresge 5 & 10 cent Store opened in December in a building constructed for the company at 324-328 Central Avenue. The store was the 275th in the company’s chain of stores. The property had been purchased from A. Getlen and J.A. Stapf, and the original building razed.
(11) The plant of the Dunkirk Seed Company in Lucas Avenue was destroyed by fire in November with a loss of over $100,000 to the building and contents. A large supply of seeds had been on hand. The building was owned by D.S. Wright.
(12) The streetcar company’s loop in Union Square was completed. The company’ s waiting room and ticket office was located at 56 East Fourth Street, in the news stand and store of the Donovan Brothers.
(13) A new brick building, replacing the one destroyed by fire in 1924, was put up at 141 East Front Street for the Polish Literary Association. Known as Dom Polski, it cost $25,000. A formal opening and dedication took place.
(14) The Empire Theater in Third Street had $4700 damage by fire.
(15) A two-story brick addition was put up for the Sanitary Receiver Company at 12 East Second Street.
(16) The remodeling of the plant in Lamphere Street, and a steel addition with several new furnaces was completed for the Sinclaire Glass Company.
(17) A dancing class for children was established by Mrs. L. Heyl in the Heyl Block. It was called the Chalif School of Dancing. Mrs. Heyl decorated the studio with her own water-color paintings.
(18) The Crocker-Sprague Company, wholesale coffee and sugar dealers, opened its new building at 10-12 East Front Street, replacing the one destroyed by fire the previous year.