DUNKIRK Between 1911 and 1920


(1) The first milk license of the new year was issued to Seawright Brothers.

(2) The Drohen Theater presented moving pictures and a vaudeville illegitimates bill for .05 admission.

(3) The first group of Boy Scout in the city was sponsored by the Methodist Church.

(4) A wholesale meat business was started by A. Rapp and F.X. Dufner at East Second Street and Washington Avenue.

(5) After May 1 the postoffice ceased opening on Sundays for the distribution of mail. Later in the year a Postal Savings Bank was started.

(6) Boulevard Park. a new residential area, adjoining Brooks Park and extending from West Sixth Street to Lucas Avenue and from Plover Street to Brigham Road, was a scene of activity when 600 shade and ornamental trees were planted.

(7) Promenschenkel’s Hotel at Point Gratiot was built (1901?)

(8) Starting the first of August, the city had police protection for 24 hours a day. Previously there had been 21-hour coverage, leaving the city unpatrolled from 4 to 7 A.M.

(9) A three-story sanitarium was built on the Cobb property, 510-512 Deer Street, at the site of the mineral springs. The Dunkirk Mineral Bath Company held its opening in August. Thirty people could be accommodated in the building for treatment.

(10) Lack of orders caused the closing go the Brooks plant from, August to November.

(11) The date fort the opening of the County Fair was August 22.

(12) A department store, called the Boston Store, was established and held its opening in September. Proprietors were the Ballotin Brothers, who had a clothing store for men, and A. Getlen, who continued his own department store as well. The store was in the building at 316-318 Lion Street, erected for the purpose and extending through to Railroad Avenue, the Meister Block.

(13) The Lake Shore Railroad laird a fourth track through the city.

(14) Two Buffalo men established a roller skating rink at the fairgrounds, refinishing the floors of the building and installing an organ.

(15) It was reported that the Dunstan-Weiler Lithographing plant had achieved a world-wide reputation.

(16) The Weingart Hardware Company moved from the northeast corner of East Second Street and Central Avenue to 311 Central Avenue, where the Barnes Brothers had operated a shoe store for two years. John F. Weimgart purchased the Allenbrand Hardware business.

(17) The New York Telephone Company constructed new lines tin the city, at a cost of $40,000. It moved its offices to 301 Central Avenue, leaving its operating department in the Stearns Building.

(18) Congress appropriated $20,000 for a federal building in Dunkirk.

(19) The building at 301-305 Lion Street, formerly occupied by the Merchants Bank and then by the Bijou Theater, was burned in March. Suffering damage were the Harper-Gervaise Drug Store, the Gurney candy store, and the Knights of Columbus clubrooms. as well as the theater.

(20) An agreement was reached between the city and the Erie Railroad regarding the Central Avenue wharf and adjacent land. The company ceded this property to the city, with the right to operate a switch on the dock. It acquired a Washington Avenue site in exchange.

(21) Roberts, Drews, & Company, was incorporated as wholesale merchants, to do business at 20 West Second Street.

(22) The old boiler shop at the Brooks Plant was torn down, and the space used for an extension of the machine shop.

(23) After the purchase of the Central Avenue fire hall by the S.H. Knox Company, the city paid rent to the company for the time it continued using the building.

(24) A brick warehouse was built by D. Scannell at 211 Park Avenue, for his wholesale sugar business.

(25) There Polish Literary & Assembly Rooms Association, known properly as Dom Polski, was organized.

(26) The Common Council authorized a speed limit of fifteen miles an hour for motor vehicles on the city streets.

(27) The Loud and Kurtzmann piano companies both closed their Dunkirk stores.

(28) Maple Avenue was opened from Doughty to Benton Street. South Beaver Street was opened.

(29) The Dunkirk Bar Association was formed in October. There were 24 practicing attorneys in the city at that time.

(30) A new gasoline motor car was put into use on the Erie Railroad.

(31) A report stated that the D.A.V. Railroad had a percentage of 99 in its record of trains on time.

(32) The Roberts Road paving from the city line south for a distance of one and a half miles was completed.

(33) The old Number 7 schoolhouse on Roberts Road, unused since 1901, was torn down.

(34) The Lake Shore Traction Company was incorporated. Planned a line to connect Silver Creek and Westfield through Dunkirk.

(35) In July the Christian Science Society opened rooms at 216 Central Avenue, the Heyl Block, with a reading room and two rooms for services.

(36) W.D. Light and D. Cave formed the W.L. Light Seed Company.

(37) The Common Council voted to purchase the Kimball site for a public dock, at a cost of $10,000.

(38) At the end of the year Dunkirk had fifteen miles of paved streets. Completed during the year were Lion from Seventh to the Nickel Plate, Sixth from Maple to Dove, and King from Lion to Benton.

(39) Kirwin’s directory showed the population to be 16,844.

(40) The new firm of O’Donnell & Gifford opened its lumber yards in June for wholesale trade. Later in the year T.F. O’Donnell retired from the firm.

(41) The Eagle Street fire hall was constructed at a cost of $18,000. Temporary stalls were constricted so that the horses could be used until motorized equipment was purchased. Metal lockers were made by the Dunkirk Machine & Boiler Company.

(42) By city ordinance, all new sidewalks were to be of stone or concrete, with no more board or brick walks to be laid. (Date? See 1910, item 31)

(43) A merger of six hundred stores, including the Dunkirk store of S.H. Knox & Company at 304 Central Avenue, resulted in the forging of a chain of five and ten cent stores, to be known as the F.W. Woolworth Company.

(44) The F. K. Lyon drug store ended its existence, Mr. Lyon moving to Buffalo.

(45) The Western Union Telegraph office was moved to a new office in the Hub building at 303 Central Avenue.

(46) William Jacka and Miss Anna O’Leary became proprietors of the Variety Store, 19 East Third Street, which Mrs. Jennie Steiger had conducted for a quarter of a century.

(47) P.H. Carlyon moved his plumbing shop from East Second Street to 113 Central Avenue.

(48) A weekly labor paper, the Dunkirk Labor Press, was started, with A.B. Husband and P.J. Walsh as editors.

(49) The Olympia Building Association, organized six years before, was dissolved, and the I.O.O.F. Temple at 314-316 Central Avenue became the property of the lodge.

(50) The Lake Shore Construction & Supply Company became the owner of the Lyon & Washington Mill and other property on Central Avenue south of the Nickel Plate.

(51) The Bell Telephone Company moved its business office to the Monroe Building, leaving the rooms in the Stearns Building for the operating department. (Same as New York Telephone Company? See 1911, item 17)

(52) F. Dopler, maker of wagons and carriages for the past 12 twelve years, constructed a factory building at 61 East Front Street.

(53) The Richmond-Kimball dry goods company was incorporated.

(54) The A. Rapp and and J. Mauthe meat business dissolved its partnership. Mr. Mauthe continued the store. The men had been in business together for eleven years. [75 E. Third?]

(55) A concrete bridge over Goose Creek on Zebra Street was completed.

(56) As very little ice was harvested during the winter, dealers had to ship in a supply to supplement the amount available and that made by the Dotterweich ice-making plant.

(57) The general offices of the U.S. Radiator Corporation were moved to Detroit, but the legal headquarters remained in Dunkirk.

(58) A sewer was installed in the upper Central Avenue area, the successful bidder being J.H. Crowe.

(59) George E. Guay opened a shop for automobile repair work in the Mulholland Building in Washington Avenue.


(1) The New York Telephone Company reported in January that it had spent $90,000 during the previous year in improvements to its plant.

(2) The Atlas Steel Corporation was reorganized as the Atlas Crucible Steel Company, its capitalization increased from $50,000 to $300,000. Two new buildings were constructed, thus trebling the melting capacity of the plant, and installing a rolling mill.

(3) The Niagara Motor Corporation was established and began operations in a portion of the Lux Light Company building, 60 West Third Street. Citizens had subscribed over $50,000 to bring the firm here from Buffalo. It was first called Niagara Gasoline Motor Company, and a building for the firm was started in Brigham Road.

(4) The Dunkirk Brick & Tile Company was organized, the result of a merger of the Hilton Brick Manufacturing Company (started in 1877) and the Dunkirk Brick & Supply Company. Its plant was located at 221-223 Eagle Street.

(5) The old Central Avenue fire station was torn down, 310-312 Central Avenue. A brass cannon belonging too William H. Stevens, G.A.R., was moved from the rear of the property to the city hall grounds. Pioneer Hook & Ladder Company Number 2 moved to the new building at 311-313 Eagle Street in April. The city’s first motorized fire-fighting equipment was purchased in May, consisting of a combination chemical engine and hose cart automobile, costing $5500. This eliminated the use of horses, including Frank M., the first horse used by the department, who was sixteen years old at the time. In 1911, a painting of this horse was done by a local artist, J.S. Schultz.

(6) The First Division, Third Battalion, New York State Naval Militia, was organized June 1, with 64 members. A 38-foot steam launch was received for the use of the members here. Lt. Harry B. Lyon was commanding officer.

(7) The Common Council officially changed the name of South Beaver Street (the portion south of Maple Avenue) to Grant Avenue,. As this part of the street was a great distance from the section running from Front Street to Third Street, much confusion had resulted.

(8) The Dunkirk Nest of Owls was instituted, with a charter membership of over 500.

(9) The Heppell Company bought the insurance business of the Scully Brothers. (Started in 1858?)

(10) Several streets, totaling two miles, were included in the paving done during the year, at a cost of about $60,000. Portions of Deer, Courtney, Lynx (from Third to Fourth), East Front (from Central to Lion, where streetcar service was suspended), and Roberts Road (from Front to Doughty), were complete. Property owners of Deer Street requested concrete paving, and this was done (from Seventh Street to the Nickel Plate) directly by the city. Elsewhere, contractors handled the work. At the end of the season the mileage of paved streets totaled 17.13.

(11) The Erie Railroad tracks were connected with the Buffalo & Lake Erie Traction line on Front Street so that coal could be taken to the city power plant without extra loading. This was a great saving, $1500 annually, for the city. The B.& L.E. Traction Company made several changes in the belt line. A loop was opened, from Central Lion on East Seventh, thence north to Fourth and west to Central. Its Lake Road and Roberts Road sections were continued. New pay-as-you-enter cars were used on the belt line. Morning service to Point Gratiot was discontinued, and cars ran from noon until 10 P.M., with later schedules for dance nights.

(12) The Moniuszko Singing Circle was organized by 40 young men. (2/20/14?) (This was later known as the Moniuszko Social Club.)

(13) The first annual to be issued by any senior class in the Dunkirk High School was published in June. It was called “The Booster.”

(14) Monroe’s Pharmacy, 300 Central Avenue, was incorporated.

(15) The American Glove Company found it necessary to have more room for its expanded business. The Dunkirk Development Company, owner of the building, added a third floor to it. The building extended from the Railroad Avenue to Ruggles Street. More than 400 persons were employed by the plant. The new floor was completed in January of 1913.

(16) The Toggery Shop was opened by El Fink at 47 East Third Street.

(17) The opening date of the Chautauqua County Fair was August 27.

(18) Zion Evangelical Church added a Sunday School annex to its building.

(19) The lighthouse at Point Gratiot was made more valuable when the illuminant was changed from kerosene oil to incandescent oil vapor. The fixed light then had 29,000 candle power rather than its former 1200 candle power, and the flashing light had 29,000 in contrast to its former 16,000 candle power. The lights could be seen for thirty miles.

(20) President Taft went through the city, and appeared on the platform of his train to nod to a crowd of 700 persons. He did not make a speech.

(21) Changes to taxation laws, passed by the state late in 1911, required that tax rolls show separate appraisals of land and buildings. The city assessors therefore spent considerable time revising the roll. The increase in the value of local property at the time was about a million dollars over previous totals.

(22) The Board of Education completed its plan of supplying free textbooks to all grade school pupils. High school pupils bought theirs at cost. Formerly the book dealers of the city had handled all sales, The September registration for all public schools was 2211. A room in Doughty Street was rented to care for pupils in that vicinity.

(23) A home for elderly ladies was established by the St. Vincent de Paul Society, in the house at 329 Washington Avenue, purchased for the purpose. The Sisters of St. Joseph were in charge of the home.

(24) The popularity of the Point Gratiot pavilion made it clear that it was not large enough for the dancers and concerts which took place there. A wing was added, and lavatories provided, also a basement storage room for park equipment. It was then one of the largest such buildings in the county, and when the formal opening was held on August 12, 1500 persons attended the dance sponsored by Chautauqua Lodge, Knights of Pythias.

(25) St. Hyacinth’s School was closed for alternations, and several changes were made. Fire escapes were added and a new heating plan installed. About 700 pupils were affected by the temporary closing, and attended the public schools until January 1. The parish also provided a new convent building for the Felician Sisters, who taught at the school. [12 Pangolin St.]

(26) A new Board of Trade was formed, with a board of directors make up of six from each ward and twelve from the city at large. A “Boost Dunkirk” movement resulted in nearly 600 persons becoming members of the Board of Trade. A prize of $25, offered for a slogan, was won by N.L. Engelhardt, who submitted the line “Try Dunkirk First.”

(27) The Hequembourg observatory was dismantled, having been sold to an Ohio man, who moved it to his home city.

(28) Major C.K. Abell, who had conducted a book store for 41 years, died at his home, 519 Central Avenue. His son, C. C. Abell, carried on the business.

(29) The Board of Assessors reduced the assessment of the Gratiot Hotel property from $30,00 to $24,000.

(30) St. Mary’s Church purchased the Madigan Lumber property in Washington Avenue, east side, south of the Baptist Church, with the plan of building a new high school for the parish. The current school was experiencing crowded conditions, and the large assembly room, used for entertainments and meeting, was converted to classrooms. (The new property was never used for a school.)

(31) Parcel post stamps were first sold in December, and packages began going out at the rate of about 30 a day. (A later item speaks of falling off of receipts by the express companies.)

(32) With the completion in 1911 of the Sixth Street paving, the Dunkirk Free Library was faced with the problem of paying $600 with insufficient funds in its 1912 treasury.

(33) Taxpayers of the city voted 1001 to 126 in favor of the city’s accepting the Erie Railroad’s proposition in regard to the Central Avenue dock site. The Common Council then voted to proceed with the negotiations.

(34) The Willowbrook Golf Club was leased by the Atlas Steel Company for the use of its employees.

(35) Men who served on the last board of director of the old Y.M.C.A. went over the affairs of the organization with a view of possibly reviving it.

(36) Manager Whelpton filled the lake front ice house, owned by the Lake City Ice & Fuel Company, with 10,000 tons of ice.

(37) A two-story addition was put up for the Dunkirk Macaroni Factory, including a new engine and an elevator.

(38) A gymnasium was installed in the Dunkirk Mineral Bath Company at 510 Deer Street.

(39) The Y.M.A ended its existence, and turned over its clubrooms to the hospital.

(40) A horse-drawn hose wagon anchors replaced the hand-drawn wagon of Murray Hose Company Number 4, and the first drivers were appointed.

(41) Polish Women’s Alliance, Branch #140, was organized.

(42) The Police Department purchased a combination Patrol and ambulance machine, at a cost of $3000. It was housed at the Eagle Street fire hall.


(1) Fire on June 14 destroyed the building of the Lake Shore Seed Company in East Second Street, with a loss of $100,000. The company then bought the plant of the Lux Light Company, 60 West Third Street, which had previously been owned by the American Air Tool Company, and before that by the Martin Anti-Fire Car Heater Company,

(2) The Commercial Machine Company, Inc., was established on the north side of Front Street at Park Avenue. Offices were at 14 East Second Street. (Later on Marsden Street?)

(3) Hemlock Grange, the Rumsey property of 72 acres, west of the city on the Lake Road, was purchased October 30 by the Passionist Fathers for $23,000 to be the site of Holy Cross College, to accommodate 150 students.

(4) A building, to be used as a rolling mill, was completed in the spring for the Atlas Steel plant. During January a high wind had blown down the walls of the partly constructed building, causing a delay in finishing the work.

(5) The Meyers Ice Company was formed to handle the delivery of ice manufactured at the Dotterweich plant.

(6) The plant of the Niagara Motor Corporation at 219 Brigham Road was complete, and machinery from the Buffalo factory was moved here.

(7) The property at 324 Central Avenue, owned by J.A. Stapf, was purchased by A. Getlen. The old frame building, occupied by Ryan & McCaffrey, was taken down and a new building put up, following which the Getlen business was moved from (230?) Central Avenue to the new location.

(8) The new building, costing $35,00, for the Woolworth Company was constructed on the site of the old fire hall, 310-312 Central Avenue. On its opening day, Monroe’s orchestra plays at a reception.

(9) An addition tho Odd Fellows Temple, 314-316 Central Avenue, was completed at cost of $50,000.

(10) Paving was done on East Seventh Street, on Robin Street from Front to Fifth, and also for a short distance on Marsden Street, Asphalt was used.

(11) The Gratiot Hotel, owned by the Hequembourg estate, had a new manager.

(12) Trout Street was given the name of Temple Street. In handwriting, Trout looked very much like Front, causing much confusion to postoffice employees.

(13) The Madigan Lumber Company Mill at 785 Deer Street was damaged by fire, after which an addition was built which doubled the capacity of the mill.

(14) The Richmond-Kimball drygoods store was moved to 308 Central Avenue.

(15) The Rapp & Dufner retail meat market was opened at 43 East Fourth Street, adding a new business to the company’s wholesale establishment. A. Rapp & F. Dufner purchased the property.

(16) Dunkirk’s fishing industry had an excellent year, during which 3,673,760 pounds of fish were shipped from the port.

(17) The Buffalo & Lake Erie Traction Company inaugurated through service between Buffalo and Erie, eliminating any change of cars at Fredonia.

(18) A. A. Mahey and H. H. Mahey purchased the Scoville Boot Shop, and started Mahey’s Boot Shop at 304 Central Avenue.

(19) The Methodist Church purchased property on the east side of Central Avenue between Sixth and Seventh Streets in April, as a possible site for a new church building.

(20) The public schools had a registration of 2,347, of which 277 were in high school. The graduating class numbered 40. This class had a yearbook, called “The Maroon And White.”

(21) The Schweda Block at 321-325 Lion Street was destroyed by fire on February 5, with damage sets at $10,000. Plans for a new building were immediately made.

(22) H.G. Jones retired from the West & Jones Drug Company.

(23) Two fire escapes for the Dunkirk High School were built by the Dunkirk Machine & Boiler Company at a cost of $445.

(24) The Dunkirk Home Telephone Company installed a new switchboard which doubled its capacity, and its service was extended in the the third and fourth wards. The 1913 subscribers’ list contained 1300 names.

(25) The Montgomery Grocery and property at 539 Deer Street was purchased by C.E. Erb, who had been manager for several years. This was one of the oldest groceries in the city.

(26) Eight horses arrived at the Wolpert Livery, to be used by Wolpert & Sloan, who were awarded the street-sweeping contract.

(27) The Caldwell Engineering Works, which occupied a part of the Lux Light Plant, 60 West Third Street, turned out an automobile delivery truck.

(28) St. Hedwig’s parish purchased the Hubbard farm in Bennett Road for a cemetery. It contained 11 acres.

(29) J.F. Gilbert moved his wholesale jewelry business from the Opera House Block to 212 Central Avenue.

(30) A deed conveying the Erie Railroad Company’s interest in the Central Avenue dock site to the city was signed. The city was to pay $1902 for this land.

(31) The Dunkirk High School Athletic Association was organized.

(32) Edison talking motion pictures were exhibited at the Drohen Theater.

(33) Sacred Heart Church installed new glass dials in the clock in its steeple, and provided for the use of electricity in lighting it. This was the first clock in the city to show the time at night. The Board of Water Commissioners voted to supply the electricity free of charge. The cost of the work on the clock was $400.

(34) New York State spent $4300 for improvements to its naval militia armory in the Heyl Block, on which a three-year lease was taken.

(35) The Mulholland factory in Washington Avenue, which had been in business since 1881, placed a line of carriages in a show room on Central Avenue. The company was also turning out a good supply of automobile bodies. (The show room was in its building south of Fourth Street on the east side of Central Avenue.)

(36) The Harper-Gervais Drug Store at Lion and East Street was purchased by L. J. Kaminsky.

(37) John A. Mackowiak became owner of the undertaking business of his father, M. Mackowiak.

(38) The Lake Shore & Michigan Southern Railroad reopened its telegraph office at the depot.

(39) A grocery department was set up at the Safe Store.

(40) St. Vincent’s Home for the Aged was started in a small frame building accommodating eight women.

(41) The Dunkirk Merchants Exchange reported a membership of 73.

(42) The Chicago Land Company holdings were sold to M. E. Wilson of Detroit.

(43) The Police Department acquired a second motorcycle.

(44) A painting of “Button’s Inn” was presented to the Dunkirk Free Library by Leslie A. Pease. The inn was the scene of a book written by Judge A. W. Tourgee of Mayville, and was located south of Westfield. The story concerned the presence of Mormons in this county.


(1) The U.S. Pennant Manufacturing Company started operating at 221 Central Avenue.

(2) The formal opening of the church hall of the First Presbyterian Church was held. The building, at 410 Eagle Street, cost $20,000, and was known as the Presbyterian Church House. It was dedicated June 21. In addition to church functions, it was thought that it would provide a place for lectures and entertainment. (It was later called Westminster Hall.)

(3) Kirwin’s Directory gave the population as 18,536. (Town and city?)

(4) The Dunkirk Printing Company moved its office from, 210 Central Avenue to the new building which it had constructed at 8-10 East Second Street, where the Observer and other publishing was done by the company.

(5) The Dunkirk Ice Cream Company was formed. Four men, C.C. Erb, O.W. Larkin, W. C. Pfleeger, and W.J. Wells foreword partnership and purchased the Gurney Ice Cream Company. The first ice cream of the new company was manufactured on May 6. They stated the business at 62 East Sixth Street. Later in the year Mr. Erb and Mr. Pfleeger sold their interest to the other two men. (Two years later Mr. Larkin moved to Buffalo, and his interest was purchased by Mr. Wells.)

(6) The New York Central Railroad began using the term Valley Branch for its D.A.V. & P. Railroad.

(7) Court St. Catherine #250, Catholic Daughters of America, was founded in December. (A 1921 item says name was originally Daughters of Isabelle. Date of change?)

(8) The Lake Shore & Michigan Southern Railroad was merged with the New York Central System. (Originally the New York Central & Hudson River Railroad?)

(9) The Dunkirk Daily Herald, which had been started in 1890, went out of existence. The Advertiser & Union also suspended publication.

(10) The Bloss Hardware business and store [sp], located at 217 Central Avenue, was purchased by the Weingart Hardware Company of 311 Central Avenue.


(11) Deeds passing the title of the Brooks mansion to the hospital were filed. The Young Men’s Association quitclaimed its interest to the Brooks heirs who turned it over to the hospital.

(12) An automobile chlorine plant was installed at the water works and put into operation. This was done during a typhoid fever epidemic. Ninety pounds of liquid chlorine were used per week. Cost of the plant was $650.

(13) The first annual Gross prize speaking contest was held at Dunkirk High School, eight contestants taking part.

(14) The clubhouse of the Fourth Ward Polish Falcons on Townsend Street was destroyed by fire in April. Plans were immediately made to erect a new building.

(15) A playground was operated by the First Baptist Church on its lot at the corner of West Fourth and Robin Streets, west of the parsonage. The Methodist young people arranged for recreation on the church’s lots at 626 (?) Central Avenue.

(16) The Lake City Band was disbanded after making its last public appearance in the Memorial Day parade. It had thirteen members when it ended its existence.

(17) City officials studied old maps and record to determine the width of Bass Street. North of West Fifth Street it was listed as being 66 feet wide; south of the point it was 50 feet wide.

(18) Holy Trinity Church purchased the Mehs property in Ruggles Street. The building was remodeled for a parish house.

(19) The U.S. Postoffice Department purchased the property at 410 Central Avenue owned by J.A. Stapf for $20,000. The Mulholland Carriage factory building on the lot was razed.

(20) The stock of the Richmond-Kimball dry goods store was sold to a Buffalo concern.

(21) The Board of Education purchased land at the corner of Townsend, Nevins, and Benton Streets, at a cost of $7725, for the site of Number 6 School.

(22) The American Glove Company in Ruggles Street built an addition on the south of its three-story building.

(23) The Loder fire engine, which had not been used since 1870, was turned over to the Exempt Firemen’s Association. The first pierce of fire apparatus owned by the city, it was pulled by volunteers and hand pumping was used to obtain water from fire wells.

(24) The Dunkirk Hebrew Company was organized with sixteen members, forming an orthodox congregation. The planning meeting was attended by about one hundred persons. The group worshipped in rented quarters.

(25) The First Ward Falcon Club was organized in October.

(26) C. Ahrens & Son Grocery moved from 223 to 215 Central Avenue.

(27) An excellent ice harvest was obtained, as the ice in the harbor was 34 inches thick.

(28) Miss Helen Keller and her teacher, Mrs. Annie Sullivan Macy, lectured at the Drohen Theater.

(29) The Lake Shore Railroad built a new steel bridge over its tracks at Bass Street.

(30) D.E. Gurney sold his business at 336 Central Avenue to Conrad Link, a Third Street baker, and moved his confectionary business 305 Lion Street.

(31) The Gratiot Hotel was purchased from the Hequembourg estate by John A. Stapf and Frank S., Stegelski. Extensive alterations were made.

(32) The Polish Literary Assembly bought property at 141 East Front Street as the site for a home for several Polish societies.

(33) John Sullivan sold the stock of his Central Avenue shoe store to N. Kuchner of the Surprise Store. The Sullivan Store had been known as C. Sullivan & Son.

(34) The first horse to belong to the fire department, Frank L., was destroyed because of his advanced age.

(35) The Dunkirk Teachers’ Association was organized in the fall.

(36) A Special Education Class was started, to provide for retarded children in the public schools. They were given training adjusted to their abilities with some manual training included. Dunkirk was one of the few cities in the state to have this type of class, and the results were most gratifying.

(37) W. D. Heffernan opened the men’s clothing store to 50 East Third Street as manager for the Heffernan Company.

(38) Robert J. Gross, president of the former U.S. Radiator Company for twenty years and of the U.S. Radiator Company since its organization in 1910, resigned in order to become an officer of a new motor and manufacturing company in Dunkirk.

(39) David Goldsmith sold his interest in the Goldsmith-Fields Hardware Company to Manley S. Paxton go Easy Aurora. The firm name remained the same for a time.


(1) The city’s population was given as 17,870. State census said 17,816. Another figure was 17,599.

(2) Number 6 School, a three story building at Townsend, Nevins, and Benton Streets, was constructed at a cost of $50,000. (Formal opening 1916).

(3) The Continental Heater Corporation was established in March, and a building constructed at 44 Stegelski Avenue. The Board of Trade had raised $15,000 preparatory to bringing this company to Dunkirk.

(4) The Dunkirk Glass Company, the Essex Glass Company, and the Commercial Steel Company, all established plants in the city. The Dunkirk Glass Company erected a building on 1 – 3/4 acres of land on Lamphere Street north of the D.A.V. tracks. The Essex Glass Company of Vernon, Ohio, located at Second Street and Brigham Road, and began production January 1, 1916.

(5) The construction of a new dock at Central Avenue was begun May 22. The old dock, destroyed by fire, contained much worthless old timber. In 1910, the sum of $100,000 was voted for this project.

(6) Bass Street was renamed Woodrow Avenue in honor of President Wilson, and it was paved from Fourth to Sixth Street.

(7) The Boniface Art Store opened at 72 East Fourth Street.

(8) The Methodist Church purchased, in November, the property of Alexander Williams at 601 Washington Avenue. At this time, the property which it had previously bought on Central Avenue between Sixth and Seventh Streets, was sold. The new property was considered a better site for the new church building.

(9) A newspaper, called “The Citizen,” was started at Dunkirk High School, and edited by members of the newly organized class in journalism. The Merchants Exchange authorized the solicitation of advertisements for the paper.

(10) Governor Charles S. Whitman visited Dunkirk as the guest of the Board of Trade. Several hundred people met his train, and 275 attended dinner in Chautauqua Hall in Masonic Temple. The governor and several state officials who accompanied him spoke to the group.

(11) The city purchased property from Mrs. J. Van Buren and Miss E. Severance so that Swan Street could be opened south of Seventh Street.

(12) The Blood Livery Stable, which had been located on the west side of Central Avenue between Third and Fourth Streets for 21 years, was discontinued. The horses and vehicles were moved to a building on Lark Street. The property had been purchased in 1914 by J. L. Drohen who planned to build a motion picture theater there. The lot, of 60-foot frontage, was once the site of the Van der Voort & Smith Planing & Lumber Mill. It was then opened by J. Hilton. Next, the Moore Livery was established there, and finally Mr. Blood bought the property, before the Drohen purchase.

(13) The Dunkirk Club bought the Scully property at 629 Central Avenue, and established its headquarters there.

(14) Lemoline, a furniture polish invented by H. C. Ehlers, P. Albach, and E.F. Erb, was marketed for the first time. The name for the present was chosen by N.L. Engelhardt.

(15) The Desmond Fish Company purchased the Kimball coal yard and dock property at 36-42 East Front Street from Mrs. N.E. Kimball. The Desmond company had been in Dunkirk for 12 years, and for a time had handled wood and coal as well as fresh water fish. T. J. Desmond and C. W. Desmond formed the company.

(16) A waste receptable was patented by the Rev. J. T. Badgley, and manufacture was started by the Sanitary Wares Company of New York City in a building on Central Avenue. It was given the name “sanitary receiver”.

(17) The Atlas Crucible Company put-up a steel frame building to house generators for the making of its own fuel.

(18) The Commercial Machine Company outgrew its quarters at the northwest corner of East Front Street and Park Avenue, and moved to a new cement block building in West Front Street.

(19) The [rest is blank]

(20) R. T. Fleischman bought the electrical business of the late L.E. Thompson at 228 Central Avenue.

(21) The class of 1915, Dunkirk High School, contributed $250 towards the future purchase of an athletic field for the school.

(22) A concrete block building in East Second Street, between Lynx Street and Washington Avenue, was built for the shirt factory of E. L. Hoag, who moved it from the third floor of 215 Central Avenue.

(23) The nation’s Liberty Bell went through Dunkirk on its way to Philadelphia from the Panama-Pacific Exposition. The train stopped at the Pennsylvania Station where nearly 1000 persons viewed it. The exposition was in San Francisco.

(24) Lucas Avenue between Central Avenue and the west line of the Dunstan property, and also Talcott Street, were paved.

(25) Vincent Karl moved his tailoring business to rooms in the Odd Fellows building.

(26) The Salvation Army dedicated its temporary headquarters at Fourth and Deer Streets. It had been at 49 Railroad Avenue, and previously on Fifth Street.

(27) New incandescent nitrogen gas filled lamps were installed, all the street carbon lights being removed. Three hundred lights were put up, at a cost of $3000.


(1) The Empire Axle Company bought a factory site in Lamphere Street south of the Nickel Plate tracks, erected a building, and moved from its former location at the rear of the Lake Shore Seed Company at Third and Dove Streets.

(2) The property of the Methodist Church, 27-29 East Fourth Street, including the church and parsonage, was sold to George H. Graf for $12,000. He planned to construct a business block there. The new building for the Methodist Church was started, on its new site at Washington Avenue and East Sixth Street, and the cornerstone was laid on October 22, the Williams house having been torn down during the summer.

(3) The Sanitary Receiver Company was incorporated. The office was moved from the Opera House Block to 221 Central Avenue. Orders were subject to various companies for the industrial cans and waste receptacles which had been invented.

(4) The newspaper notice of the death of Peter Meister spoke of the buildings which he had erected in the city. These included the high school, the library the Gratiot Hotel, Masonic Temple, Odd Fellows Temple, Lake Shore Bank, and Merchants Bank.

(5) The concrete dock was completed at the foot of Central Avenue, replacing the old dilapidated one. It was called Municipal Dock, cost $100,000, and was 80 feet wide by 520 feet long.

(6) In February the Meyers Ice Company bought the plant of the Dunking Ice & Fuel Company, and changed the name to Lake City Ice & Fuel Company. The building at West Front and Dove Streets burned on August 4, and spread to the Dunkirk Rag & Metal Company. Damage was estimated at $25,000. There were 6000 tons of ice in the building at the time. The company then decided not to replace the ice storage building but to erect an artificial ice-making plant with a capacity of 35 tons of ice a day.

(7) The cornerstone of Holy Cross Preparatory College at Hemlock Grange on West Lake Road was laid September 10. Estimates were that the college would cost $200,000.

(8) Stockholders of the Chautauqua County Agricultural Corporation decided to surrender Central Park to the M. M. Fenner estate and seek a new site for development as a fairgrounds. No fair was held in 1916. In Jamestown a local fair was held, and permission was sought to use the name Chautauqua County Fair, but the directors turned this down, believing that the county fair should be resumed in 1917.

(9) The city was faced with the necessity of deciding whether to enlarge its facilities for the generating of electricity at a cost of $200,000, or of granting a franchise to the Niagara & Erie Power Company to supply the needed power for the city’s large industries. Popular vote favored the franchise. The final payment was made by the city on its original $100,000 indebtedness when the water plant was constructed in 1871.

(10) Although Kirwin’s Directory gave a population figure of 21,000, a local house to house canvass produced a count of 19,821.

(11) The Merrill Silk Company of Hornell built a factory on Lion Street between Front and Second Streets. Employment was provided for 300 workers.

(12) Governor Whitman visited Dunkirk for two days, staying over night at the home of Judge Robert Cooper. He was the guest of the Knights of Pythias. A parade was held, and a dinner and public reception at the Elks club rooms.

(13) The Weitzel & Domst Bakery, 56-58 East Fourth Street, suffered a damaging fire, and was closed for a month for repairs and complete modernization. Its normal daily output was 6000 loaves of bread.

(14) The Salvation Army purchased the property at 66 East Fourth Street for $2000. It had moved into this building after a previous location at 49 Railroad Avenue.

(15) The Christian Science Society purchased the Fell property at 513 Washington Avenue in July, and moved from its former location at 214 Central Avenue.

(16) The Chamber of Commerce was incorporated. Starting as the Board of Trade in 1903, it became known as the Board of Commerce, and later as the Merchants Exchange. The Merchants Exchange was then made a division of the Chamber of Commerce. The organization rented office space at 230 Central Avenue, and placed a large electric sign on the side of the building toward the railroad.

(17) A tract of land in West Sixth Street was put into condition for use as an athletic field for the high school, and the first football practice washed there in the fall. R.W. and D.S. Wright provided the land under a one dollar lease and an agreement to sell the property for $3000 at any time during the lease period.

(18) An important paving job was completed in upper Central Avenue. Other streets paved during the year were East Second from Lion to Moffatt, Doughty from Lamphere to Roberts Road, McKinley from West Fifth to West Sixth, and East Lake Road to the city line.

(19) The U;.S. Pennant Mfg.Company moved from 221 Central Avenue to 117 Central Avenue, the building long occupied by the Boss Hardware Company and purchased in 1915 by the Pennant Company.

(20) The Monroe Pharmacy opened a branch store at 309 Lion Street.

(21) The Presbyterian Church House at 410 Eagle Street, owned by the First Presbyterian Church, was given the name Westminster Hall.

(22) The F.B. Gifford Photograph Studio in West Fourth Street was purchased by E.S. Parker.

(23) Charles Evans Hughes, Republican nominee for president, stopped in Dunkirk. He and his party were in a special car attached to a New York Central train and were en route to New England.

(24) The Arcade Building, 416 Main Street, was purchased by Henry Schafer, who operated a Studebaker garage there.

(25) The Brooks plant of the American Locomotive Company put into effect a nine and a half hour working day in place of the previous 10 hour day.

(26) The South Shore Gas Company moved its general office from Buffalo, enlarging the local office on Central Avenue. The meter repair department moved to the old office of the Citizen’s Gas Company on West Second Street.

(27) Ludes Brothers established a florist business at 14 Tenney Street.

(28) The Erie Hotel was remodeled and a grill room was established.

(29) The Dunkirk Ice Cream Company moved to a building at the rear off the owner’s residence, 614 Deer Street.

(30) The Dunkirk Glass Company, purchased by the Board of Commerce on 1915, was enlarged to double its capacity.

(31) The S.J. Seawright milk distributing business was purchased by Mrs. Nellie Kimball.

(32) Ornamental street lighting fixtures were installed in Taft Place and McKinley Avenue.

(33) A 5, 10, & 25 Cent Store was opened by K.H. Lovely, who came here from Newark. N.Y., in a building owned by the Lally Brothers in East Third Street.

(34) A residential development was completed when Fairview Avenue (first called Fairview Manor) was opened east of Central Avenue opposite Lafayette Avenue.

(35) The Common Council considered the possibility of continuing West Fourth Street from Brigham Road west to the Lake Road. It would have been a half mile in extent, going under the New York Central railroad tracks east of the southern portion of West Point Avenue, meeting West Point Avenue and then Lake Road. This was never done.

(36) William E,. Stegman sold his grocery business to his sons, W. Harvey and Harry C. Stegman.

(37) A new tailoring firm, the American Tailoring Company, was started by I. Haber and H. Rosenberg at 67 East Third Street.

(38) St. Hyacinth’s School, for the first time, had eight grades.

(39) The Dunkirk Free Library was in first place among cities in its class for its circulation of 80,000 books during the year.

(40) The Guay Machine Shop & Garage was moved from the Mulholland Building on Washington Avenue to 121 Central Avenue.

(41) The former Goldsmith-Fields Hardware Company was changed to the Hodkins-Fields Hardware Company.


(1) A fish hatchery was established at Point Gratiot by the State of New York, on land purchased for the sum of $5000.

(2) The Dunkirk Chapter of the American Red Cross was organized June 6, and war work was done in the Women’s Union Building, 406 Central Avenue. A Fredonia group also organized, but voted to affiliate with Dunkirk rather than having a separate chapter there, and became a branch of the chapter.

(3) The business offices of the New York Telephone Company moved from 301 Central Avenue to the Stearns Building. The Dunkirk Home Telephone Company merged with it, thus ending a long period of competition.,

(4) The city granted a franchise to the New York Central Railroad for a third main track running through town. Construction started and the track was ready for use in January of 1918. The Woodrow Avenue overhead bridge had to be lengthened to make room for the additional track.

(5) Two portable school houses were put into use, one at School 1 and one at School 10.

(6) The Niagara Silk Mill was sold to Z. VanRaalte of New York City. (In business since 1906? Formerly American Glove Company?)

(7) The Chautauqua County Agricultural Corporation was reorganized, and set the date for the fair as October 2. The price for the fairgrounds was $16,000 from the Fenner Estate. Electric lights were put up around the race track.

(8) The Lake City Ice & Fuel Company completed its new building on the site of the one which had been destroyed by fire in 1916. This was an ice-manufacturing plant, as ice was no longer harvested from the lake. It was ready for operation July 1, with a capacity of 30 or 40 tons a day.

(9) Members of the Naval Militia left for service on Easter Day, and were assigned to various ships of the United State Navy.

(10) The Methodist Church acquired the property at 15 East Sixth Street, a lot 50′ x 90′, for $5600, to be used as a parsonage. The minister and his family moved from the Fourth Street location in July.

(11) During 1917 the Brooks Plant manufactured 501 locomotives. This was one of its best years. It had previously competed an order (1915?) for military shells for Great Britain for use in Word War I.

(12) A Boy Scout Council was organized.

(13) A public bathhouse was erected at Point Gratiot on land near the breach east of Light Street. It was completed by the Fourth of July.

(14) A Mother’s Club was organized at School 5.

(15) The Brooks Hotel, 136 East Third Street, owned by F. Pencek, was destroyed by fire.

(16) Polish Falcons Gymnastic Society, Branch #25, put up a 16′ x 30′ addition to its club house on Serval Street. The recent consolidation of the Moniuszko Singling Circle with this society resulted in a considerably larger membership.

(17) The Dunkirk Cycle Club planned to build a club house on its property, 119-121 Washington Avenue.

(18) L.J. Lang sold his property and furniture business to H.E. Crandall of Bradford, Pa.

(19) The Salhoff-Cain Lumber Company at 219 Deer Street became the Cain Lumber Company.

(20) A pay-as-you-enter system was inaugurated win the Dunkirk-Fredonia trolley line.

(21) After a lapse of seven years, Brooks Memorial Hospital held a donation day, accepting a wide variety of foods and supplies.

(22) J.C. Dean and E.H. Stewart purchased the business and stock of the Fleishman Electrical Company, 230 Central Avenue.

(23) The Summerlee Electrical Company was started, located at first in the Summerlee home, 109 Park Avenue.


(1) The Lang Furniture store at the intersection of Lion, Ruggles, and Fourth Streets, was destroyed by fire on January 15.

(2) Fire destroyed the building of the Church of Christ at 8 West Fourth Street on January 19 with a loss of $4000 (22nd?) . Services were then held at the Odd Fellows Temple.

(3) An open air school was conducted at Number 1.

(4) Shorewood Country Club was organized February 16, with capital stock of $100,000. A tract of 100 acres was secured on West Lake Road, known as Shorewood Farms. A club house was built, and opened with a dinner on September 7.

(5) St. John’s Evangelical Lutheran Church purchased property at 408 Deer Street, to add to its lot at 406 Deer Street. The old building thereon was then down so that that a new parsonage could be built on the combined lots.

(6) Washington Park was equipped with a group of benches which the city ordered from the high school, the work of making them being done by the boys in the manual training department.

(7) The brownstone building erected by the Methodist Church at the corner of East Sixth Street and Washington Avenue was completed, after some delay caused by the war. It cost around $45,000. Dedication services were held July 14.

(8) A new moving-picture house, the Palace Theater, was opened in East Third Street.

(9) The fish hatchery at Point Gratiot, established bot the State Conservation Commission. began operations in November.

(10) The Dunstan Lithograph Company vacated its building, which was sold to the Chautauqua Wire Corporation. The lithograph firm moved into a remodeled portion of the Nelson Opera House in January. (It suspended its business in the 1920’s.) The wire company began operations on September 1.

(11) The New York Store and the Quality Shop on Lion Street were combined under the name, New York Store.

(12) The Dunkirk Free Library requested an increase in its appropriation from $3000 to $5000 a year.

(13) The Palmer & Rowe business block at 427 Central Avenue was completed. The South Shore Natural Gas and Fuel Company leased the north store of the building for its office. The Republic Light, Heat & Power Company was formed by a merger of eleven area companies, including South Shore Natural Gas & Fuel Company and Citizens Gas & Fuel Company, both Dunkirk concerns, and others serving nearby communities.

(14) The Drohen Avenue Theater opened Christmas Night. The building was constructed at 313-317 Central Avenue. The name was originally planned as Drohen’s Hippodrome. The seating capacity was 1800. A contract for 1200 opera chairs had been let to the H.C. Ehlers Company. It was a fire-proof building, and construction had been started in June of 1916.

(15) There was no general sale of Red Cross Christmas seals in 1918. Those available were awarded to persons who joined the Red Cross, each person being given ten seals.

(16) A branch of the U.S. Employment Bureau was opened at 301 Central Avenue.

(17) The Chamber of Commerce, originally the Board of Trade, and sometimes spoken of as the Board of Commerce, moved to new headquarters on the second floor of the Lyceum Building, 330 Central Avenue.

(18) Property was purchased by the Board of Education for a new First Ward school, the cost of the land being $6160. It was located on East Lake Road, north side, east of Serval Street. A bond issue not to exceed $90,000 had been authorized in 1916 in a special election, so that plans could proceed for the construction of this school.

(19) The Dunkirk Development Company, first organized fun 1909, was dissolved. It had arranged for the site of several industries in the city.

(20) The Atlas Crucible Steel Company inaugurated an eight-hour day for its workmen.

(21) The McClenathan Printery moved to 13 East Second Street.

(22) The New York State Militia was reorganized with both federal and state status.

(23) The property of the Dunkirk Glass Company was sold to W. Washington for $5802, subject to liens aggregating about $25,000.

(24) The Weiler Mfg. Company, 217 Central Avenue, began manufacture of a large line of American flags.

(25) A new residential area, “Shore Acres on the Lake,” was opened. The 107-acre section was north of West Lake Road.

(26) The Surprise Store at 317 Lion Street, N. Kushner, proprietor, was renovated. This had been the property of the May estate.

(27) The Star Clothing Company completed its new store at 311 Lion Street.


(1) The Everygirl’s Club was organized February 13. It was designed for every girl sixteen years of age and over.

(2) The congregation of the Church of Christ, Disciples, purchased the property at Central Avenue and West Fifth Street from D.F. Toomey for $11,000. The transaction was arranged in September of 1918. It was dedicated for use as a church on February 19. It provided a home for the pastor as well as services and parish activities. The former property at 8 West Fourth Street was sold for $6000.

(3) The earliest season for fishing in years was inaugurated March 4 when the fishing tugs set their first nets.


(5) Candyland was opened on October, by proprietors George and Gus Surlas and James Vlachos. They took over the confectionary store known as The Sparta, operated by N. Mynoslas, and completely modernized it.

(6) The belt line trolley service, under the Dunkirk Street Railway Company, was discontinued at midnight on May 31. Tracks in East Lake Street were taken up, and the street paved from Ocelot Street to the city line. Property owners near the terminus of the line received a reduction in tax valuation by the assessors because of the ending of trolley service.

(7) The Atlas Country Club opened in June, having taken over the grounds and club house of the Willowbrook Golf Club. The property was leased by he Atlas Crucible Steel Company for the Atlas Employees’ Association. (By 1924 the building, no longer used, was allowed to fall into ruin.)

(8) A train accident on July 1 at the New York Central station killed eleven people and injured many others. During a heavy fog a westbound train crashed into the rear of a standing train.

(9) C. Ransom bought the property of the Church of Christ at 8 West Fourth Street, and repaired and remodeled it for use as a garage.

(10) Dunkirk Memorial Post #62, American Legion, was chartered.

(11) The newly-organized Dunkirk Symphony Orchestra gave a concert on December 5, in the Drohen Theater. Composed of fifty persons it was led by Professor C.A. Monroe,

(12) Grace Evangelical Lutheran Church purchased property at the southwest corner of West Sixth and Eagle Streets for $5000.

(13) The city set up a health center at 610 Deer Street, in a building formerly known as the Dunkirk Mineral Bath Building. Later in the year a day nursery and child welfare station were added.

(14) The former building of the Methodist Episcopal Church at 29 East Fourth Street was remodeled as a display room for automobiles and a shop for accessories.

(15) The Knights of Columbus considered plans to erect a club house. The cost mentioned was approximately $100,000.

(16) The new city asphalt plant in Deer Street provided material for the paving of a number of streets. At the end of the year’s work, it was announced that the city had a total of 21.87 miles of improved streets.

(17) The S.M. Hamilton Company, 221-223 Eagle Street, became the Dunkirk Builders Supply Corporation.

(18) The old electric arches in Central Avenue and in Main Street were taken down. An ornamental lighting system was installed, a total of 97 lights in the business district. They were used for the first time in September.

(19) Caps and gowns were used by the high school graduating class.

(20) The Bell and New York Telephone companies consolidated.

(21) A State Bureau of employment was established.

(22) The first airmail letter was received in the city on July 1.

(23) The J.W. O’Brien flour and feed business at 6 East Front Street was sold to K.E. Tederous & Bros.

(24) The Dunkirk Evening Observer reported that its circulation had reached 3800.

(25) An airplane pilot lost his life when his plane crashed in the baseball field of the fairgrounds on September 11. A crowd of about 10,000 persons attending the fair saw the accident.

(26) W. D. Light of the W.D. Light Seed Company purchased the three-story brick building at 214 Central Avenue.

(27) A description of the American Locomotive Company included the statement that the Dunkirk plant covered 118 acres of land, had floor space of 1,063,000 square feet, and was capable of an annual output of 1000 hundred-ton engines, with employment for 5000 men.

(28) An addition was constructed for the Continental Heater Corporation, 44 Stegelske Avenue to accommodate increased business.

(29) The Essex Glass Plant was closed for two months, and the reopened. Subsequently the property was sold to an out-of-town syndicate. It was established in 1915.

(30) I.M.Levy moved his store from 219 Central Avenue to 330 Central Avenue.

(31) The Lake Shore National Bank purchased the William Cotter property at 409 Central Avenue, with a 60-foot frontage on Central Avenue and extending west to Lark Street.

(32) The Boston Store, 316-318 Main Street, enlarged its quarters by using the second floor of its building as a sales room.

(33) A committee of the common council investigated the possibility of purchasing 25 acres of land at Battery Point for a public park. This point, at the east end of the harbor, served as a lookout headquarters during the Civil War.

(34) The Dunkirk AutomobileClub changed its name to Chautauqua County Automobile Club, and started a campaign for memberships.

(35) The Northern Chautauqua Fish and Game Club was organized.

(36) The Carter & Casale Plumbing business was started at 78 East Third Street.

(37) The Brownell Shoe Company opened a business at 334 Central Avenue.

(38) The business building at 215 Central Avenue, occupied by the C. Ahrens & Son Grocery, was sold to P.H. Carylon.

(39) The Wolpert Livery sold its horses and carriages, and changed to a storage business for horses and automobiles. It was the last of the larger liveries in the city.

(40) The Stow Lumber & Coal Company purchased yet business of J.G. McCarthy, 221 Deer Street.

(41) The Dunkirk Athletic Club formally opened its rooms in East Front Street. The club had 210 members at this time.

(42) St. John’s Evangelical Church completed its parsonage at 406 Deer Street,

(43) Naetzker’s News & Smoke Shop had its beginning at 336 Central Avenue.

(44) The Polish Falcons club house at 107 Serval Street suffered a fire.

(45) The Style Shop, 308 Central Avenue, went out of business.

(46) C.C. Abell gave up the Abell Book Store.


(1) According to the federal census, Dunkirk’s population was 19,336. Another report gave the figure 20,178 residences, including apartments.

(2) The Dunkirk Hebrew Community obtained a place for worship, purchasing the property of the Dunkirk Cycle Club at 119-121 Washington Avenue. [1921?]

(3) The Dunkirk Library reported a circulation for 1919 of 79, 920, which was 413 more than in any previous year.

(4) A dial system for telephone serve was inaugurated May 15. Mayor Harry B. Lyon made the first call over the new system. He sat at the desk of the chief operator in the central office of the company in the Stearns Building, and dialed 2326, the Observer’s new number. The office location was leased for twenty years, and company had 1800 subscribers. This completed the merger of the two planes formerly in use. Dunkirk was the first city in the state to have the new system, and an average of 800 calls per hour were made.

(5) The Dunkirk Trust Company was established, and opened for business June 26, in the north portion of the Gratiot Hotel, 343 Central Avenue. The Meister Construction Company was awarded a contract for erecting a fireproof building on the lot adjoining the north side of the hotel, 339-341 Central Avenue, where the bank would be located in the future.

(6) Morning service was started on the streetcar line to Point Gratiot, the first car starting at 6:30 A.M.

(7) The Drohen Third Street theater was transferred from Mrs. Mabel Drohen to the Lally Theater Corporation, and was remodeled into a fireproof building. Also purchased was the Empire Theater property, and the Schweda Block in Main Street.

(8) The Boston Store proprietors purchased the building of the Judd estate at 320 Main Street and had a three-story brick building put up to match its original store. It was called the Meister Block.

(9) A parsonage at 743 Eagle Street was completed for Grace Evangelical Lutheran Church.

(10) The new proprietors of the Davis Drug Company at 409 Main Street were C.T. Gill and F.L. Will, who purchased the business and took possession on July 1.

(11) Holy Cross Passionist Monastery and Preparatory College was opened and dedicated on September 22. Construction of the building on West Lake Road had been delayed by the war. Dunkirk was then the only city in the world to have two Passionist monasteries.

(12) The Dunkirk Lumber & Coal Company, 526 Roberts Road, suffered a fire loss of $65,000 on December 6.

(13) The Wheeler Motor express started the business of local and area moving.

(14) The Roberts, Drewes & Company purchased the property at 123 Central Avenue, formerly the site of the Mayer Music Store.

(15) The Empire Axle Company was reorganized.

(16) The Board of Water Commissioners moved its offices to 425 Central Avenue.

(17) The Graf Furniture Company built a warehouse.

(18) The Kosciuszko Polish Home Association was organized in June.

(19) C. Ahrens & Son, grocery, 215 Central Avenue, ended its existence, following the death of Mr. Ahrens.

(20) The R. Loud Music Company opened a business at 220 Central Avenue.

(21) Leworthy’s Ford Agency moved its garage to 811 Central Avenue.

(22) The Parker Photograph Studio, 46 West Fourth Street, formerly Giffiord’s, was sold to A.H. Graff.

(23) H.P. and M.F. Lally sold their retail grocery stores, one at 33 East Third Street, one at ___________. They continued their wholesale business at 10-12 East Front Street.

(24) A new business, the Good Seed Company, was started, and received a charter from New York State.

(25) The Romer Ax Company, 802 Main Street, property and business was purchased by C.P. Burgess and D.W. Lathrope.

(26) The residents of West Green Street formed the West Green Street Community Club.

(27) The Link Bakery business at 335 Central Avenue was sold to the Andrews Land Company of Erie, owners of a chain of bakeries. The name was changed to Dunkirk Home Bakery.

(28) The property at 335 and 337 Central Avenue, occupied by the Dunkirk Home Bakery, the Postal Telegraph, the Daylight Electric Company, and Like-Knu Shoe Repair Shop, was sold by L. Parlato and C. Link to the Drohen Theater Company.

(29) A new ornamental iron and wire fence replaced the old one along Central Avenue at the County Fairgrounds.

(30) The Stapf Real Estate Agency put up 25 new houses in Roosevelt Avenue, formerly James Place. In the area developed in 1909, a total of 54 houses had previously been built.

(31) Charles Glaberman opened a furniture store at 204 Main Street.