The museum is open to the public on Mondays and Fridays from 1 to 4 PM, and on Wednesdays from 3 to 6 PM, during its winter hours. The Museum welcomes bus tours and guided tours by appointment (716) 366-3797.
The building that houses the Dunkirk Historical Museum served the congregation of the First Church of Christ Scientist from 1930 until 1970, when the church was disbanded. The building was erected on Washington Park, one of the premier areas in the city. In 1972 the building was purchased by the city through CDBG grant funding and a generous donation from the Meister Contracting Company. The building then became the Dunkirk Historical Museum under the auspices of the Historical Society of Dunkirk, N.Y., who occupied the building in 1980.