The Dunkirk Historical Museum offers a number of items for purchase, as shown here on this page. The reproductions of photos and maps seen here bear a watermark across the center that will NOT be present in your purchased print. Each reproduction does bear a small notation in a corner stating that it is a reprint created by the Dunkirk Museum and may not be copied, reproduced, or be used on social media.
You may call 366-3797 during the museum's hours of operation to receive answers to any questions regarding the items.
The museum does not accept credit cards at this time.
To purchase any item, a check must be sent for the amount plus tax (.08%) and shipping.
Dunkirk: Images of American pictorial history $21.95
PHOTO NOTECARDS: 4x6 image on 5x7 card with envelope. Please note some of these images may not be available at various times. Please call to see if your choice is in stock.
One for $3.00 and 3 for $8.00
Some of these images are available as 4x5 magnets.
MAGNET: This is a 2x2 inch metal magnet that notes important places and dates in Dunkirk history.
Cost is $4.00
POSTER: This 8x15 poster is a reproduction of an original poster advertising the Woodcliffe Orchestra playing at the Point Gratiot Pavilion.
Cost is $20.00
SHOT GLASS: This shot glass carries an image of King Neptune from the Neptune Fountain that originally stood on the grounds of the Brooks Locomotive Works.
Cost is $5.00
POSTER: This image is a photographic reproduction of a 1918 poster of the American Locomotive Works/Brooks Works.
It is available in three sizes: 12x24: $30.00
This is a re-print of an 1882 sketch of Dunkirk. The sketch focuses on the waterfront and is 21 by 36 inches in size. It is graced by the words “Dunkirk”, NY 1882” beneath the drawing. The sketch reveals individual and recognizable buildings including the Brooks Locomotive Works. Four docks with ships at each dock are shown, along with the home of Horatio Brooks, the Dunkirk Academy, and other recognizable buildings. The Erie Railroad cuts through the city along Third Street, with a locomotive and cars seen on the tracks. This print has a sepia tone and is a very attractive item depicting our city in a unique way. Each print costs $55.00.
The large prints are not matted and are not framed.
Cost is $55.00
MAP: This item is a section of a 1881 map of Dunkirk and its harbor. The reproduction is a high quality print that is 16 by 26 inches in size and shows the four docks that existed then, as well as the Erie Railroad running from its own dock to the main trunk line on Third Street. Also present on the map are the old Depot and Erie Hotel, St. Mary’s and St. Mary’s Orphan Asylum, the Episcopal church, schools that include the Dunkirk Academy and Schools 1, 3, 4 and 6, and Washington Square, as it was then known.
Of especial interest are the old estates that lined Central Avenue, and these properties highlight the families of influence in the city at that time. To the east of the home of Horatio Brooks on the corner of Central and Sixth can be seen an empty plot of land that would become Dunkirk’s library. Along a section of Central Avenue referred as the “Dunkirk and Fredonia Horse Railroad” (for the early horse-drawn trolley system) is the property owned by the Williams family, the founders of the Observer. Nearby is the Charles Hequembourg home. He was a contractor by trade who designed and built the present Presbyterian Church and who also served as village engineer. After a period of time in Bradford, he returned to Dunkirk. He became part of the Young Men’s Association and helped in the creation of the Hotel Gratiot and Brooks Hospital. He became mayor of the city in 1894. The Hinman family home, which became the Gross mansion, then rectory for Cardinal Mindszenty, and presently serves as offices of the STEL program), is present. Hinman was vice president of Brooks Locomotive Works. Louis Heyl’s family home is there (he owned and operated a store on what became known as the “Heyl Block”), and many other prominent names.
At that time East Front Street lined the lake (it would be renamed Lake Shore Drive later), and Washington Avenue is still named Buffalo Street and Park Avenue still named Elk Street. Old and long gone businesses such as the Dotterweich Brewery, Dunkirk Iron Works, and Brooks Locomotive Works appear on the map as well. The cost of each reprint is $35.00. It is unmatted and unframed.